Saturday, June 11, 2016

Kuala Lumpur (Ofentse)


I arrived with the movie Entrapment in my mind (glittering Petronas Towers etc). However, travelling by train through Sepang, Cyberjaya and Putrajaya, I encountered a jungle littered with some schools, a few shacks - things I would encounter in South Africa. I was convinced that Petronas Towers (my residence was close to that) did not exist. Disappointment! However, after 45 minutes, I arrived at the Central Station and I was greeted by the concrete jungle facade that I had seen in the movie. I was impressed by the friendly people who made me feel like a dignitary. My Malay taxi driver, who had great knowledge of Johannesburg, took me for a short tour of Kuala Lumpur on my way to my residence. I was particularly struck by the warmth of the people of Malaysia.

Ofentse Noah
a friend from Smuts, University of Cape Town


No comments: